Happy Holidays from The Dog House!
HELP KEEP YOUR DOG SAFE THROUGH THE HOLIDAYS
Tips to insure a safe & happy holiday season
Keep ornaments and other decorations out of your dog’s reach by placing them higher in the tree. If ornaments, garland, tinsel or lights are eaten by a dog, there is a potential for chocking or gastro-intestinal problems. Chewing on electrical cords can cause burns or electrocution. To prevent this, place electrical cords behind heavy furniture or cover them with rugs.
Holiday foods can also be a danger to your dog. Eating too much fatty food, such as turkey skin or meat trimmings can cause upset stomach, vomiting or diarrhea. Bones can be a choking hazard and can cause internal punctures. Chocolate can be dangerous. If eaten, it can cause tremors, seizures, vomiting, diarrhea, even death. To prevent this, keep candy and cookies out of your dog’s reach.
Keep candles up high and never leave burning candles unattended.
Holiday plants such as holly, mistletoe and poinsettia can be poisonous to a dog if eaten. To discourage your dog from chewing on plants, keep them out of reach and/or spray leaves with Bitter Apple or Phooey spray.
There are dangers outside as well. Salt and ice melting chemicals that are used on sidewalks can burn your dog’s feet. If your dog licks his paws or eats these products vomiting and diarrhea can result. Antifreeze is extremely toxic. If you think your dog has ingested even a small amount, take him to a veterinarian immediately. The National Animal Poison Control Center can be reached 24 hours a day at 1-800-548-2423. Locally you can contact West Vet Animal Emergency and Specialty Center at 375-1600.
Protect your dog from your guests. Your holiday guests are well intentioned, but you must still watch out for your dog. They might feed him food that could make him sick (cookies, sausage, candy, etc.). Someone may leave the door open, allowing your dog to bolt outside and down the street. Always supervise young children around your dog and provide your dog with a quiet place to get away from the busy holiday activities.
HYDROGEN PEROXIDE CAN SAVE YOUR DOG’S LIFE
A while back one of my Day Care dogs was doing “sleep over” at my house and got himself into a little trouble. I had forgotten that he was a notorious “counter surfer” and while I was out of the room, he jumped up on the dresser and ate a bag of Dove Milk Chocolate.
I grabbed the bottle of hydrogen peroxide and dragged him outside to the back yard. I took the cap off the bottle, pulled his lower lip away from the corner of his mouth, and poured a couple of ounces of Hydrogen Peroxide into that big pocket in the corner of his mouth. Then I just stood there with him and waited. Within a few minutes he was salivating heavily and turning a little “green.” He hunched up a bit and promptly vomited up a large glob of Dove Chocolate, wrappers and all. I spent the next hour watching him and checking his vital signs, the color of his gums and his overall demeanor. He was fine.
When his mom and dad returned, I reported the incident. Their response, “Oh he’s done that before. Was it dark or milk chocolate?”
Moral of the story: always have a bottle of hydrogen peroxide available and have your vet and poison control’s number near your phone. And watch out for “counter surfers” around your Dove Chocolate, especially when it is your last bag.
READ MORE TIPS AND ARTICLES